My research focuses on conflict processes, political corruption, international development, state collapse, and social trust in the African context.
- Corruption and Conflict. How different types of corruption shape contentious politics in Africa, ranging from social movements to armed rebels and secessionists.
- Trust & Mobilization. The role that social trust plays in shaping mobilization into contentious groups, as well as shaping ‘cultures of trust within those groups.
- Unity & Fragmentation. The processes by which African secessionist groups experience movement unity or suffer from fragmentation.
- State Capture. How and why African democracies are captured by private and party interests.
Civil Resistance & Political Violence. With Brandon Ives and Jonathan Pinckney. This research focuses on topics like the emergence of non-strategic violence, the formation of alliances within civil resistance movements, and issues of temporality in contentious politics.
- Geospatial analysis, which allows me to visualize and model the spatial impact of social incidents on one another, as well as to derive a stronger understanding of how geography drives political outcomes.
- Quantitative analysis, including parametric and non-parametric statistical analysis in both frequentist and Bayesian approaches.
- Experimental methods, which I find to be useful in deriving and testing initial suppositions about behaviors in response to certain stimuli. I see experiments as a crucial first step in testing whether we are asking the right questions.
- Field research and interviews, which provide both exploratory and confirmatory information in the form of thick context and process-tracing.
- Center for Open Data Enterprise. Washington, DC. (2018 – 2019)
- Global Integrity. Washington, DC. (2016 – 2018)
- Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism. College Park, MD. (2015 – 2017)
- Uppsala University, Department of Peace Research. Uppsala, Sweden. One-Sided Violence Project (2015)
- University of Maryland. College Park, MD. w/ Mark Lichbach & Paul Huth (2013 – 2016)